Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick, basic question about 3/4 view

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Quick, basic question about 3/4 view Reply with quote

My question about the 3/4 view, is what is it and what does the 3/4 fraction have to do with it? I know it's a standard angle at which to draw a person, somewhere between front view and side view. Is it 3/4 of the way in one direction between the front and the side? If so, which direction? Is it the angle where the face is 3/4 of the head? Or maybe 3/4 of the head is at one side of the nose/middle line? Is the face part of the head supposed to be 3/4 the size it would be in a front view? Also, what is it about this particular angle that makes it so popular? I can't seem to find any information on this, and a lot of supposedly 3/4 pictures I see seem to be at different angles from each other. So, if they are not the same angle, then why do they share a specific number attached to them?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is 3/4th's view...
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Young. So is this the angle where the head is facing 3/4 of the way toward the side, from the front? Is that what the 3/4 means? Or is it something else?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the terminology used to describe a view that is partway between frontal and side view.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's that specific angle? Or yes, it's something else and another specific angle? Or, yes, it's something else and any angle in between frontal and side view?
If it's the last one, that means it doesn't require too much precision to draw, but it leaves the mystery wide open as to what the number 3/4 has to do with it.
I read on some website that it's the pose where 3/4 of the face is facing one direction and 1/4 is facing another direction... but what the writer meant by saying the face faces two directions, is beyond me.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am no expert, but I would imagine, that since the head is three dimensional. The 3/4th thing would apply. To any angle that it is facing that shows 3/4ths of it. Whether it is left or right. You may also get the same view with a head tilted up and down some. But not too far or you would be changing the angle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Art Exhibit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: