Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Young Art
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a few more changes. Made his hair more dynamic.. And added shoulders to his outfit so he doesn't look like he's nude behind a chest plate. I am very happy with the way it came out.. Though, my work always seems to have a cartoony feel to it even when i don't try for that. Perhaps it's in the way I drew the face?

brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't trying to be cartoony? Then the main thing you need to do is make the head much smaller. I'd say 1/8 of his height. I like to draw my characters with 1/6 their height, but I aim for cartooniness. Most drawing books say that the convention is to draw people 7.5-8 heads tall, and for heroic characters, it could be as much as 9.5. Most of my measurements indicate that people are 6-7 heads tall, but it's a hard thing to measure. A properly proportioned head would do wonders for this picture.

I have several other proportions for you to make note of. A person's shoulder width should be three times his head width and twice his head height. You could make it slightly bigger than that because he's muscular, but only slightly.
His waist should be two thirds the width of his shoulders. I've seen comic books with men whose waists are a quarter the width of their shoulders, and they're not bad.
The lengths of his hands when not clenched in fists should be the same as the height of his face, from his chin to an inch of above his eyebrows or so. Half that length is his palm, the other half his his fingers. The length from his elbow to his shoulder should match the length from his belly button to shoulder level. This is the same length from forearm to knuckle.
His legs should be half his full height. Many people's legs are a little less than this, but Thor should have ideal proportions. If I recall correctly, the upper leg is longer than the lower leg.
That's almost all the proportions I can tell you off the top of my head. I think I covered all the main ones. You can find all of this information in lots of books and the internet.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you...

Yea, I am very guilty of not planning things properly when I draw. When I draw I zone out and just let it flow. I put things on paper on what I think they look like on how I see them and how they should be.. Without checking to make sure they are where they should be. I do mark the face with where the eyes, nose, and mouth should be.. But I don't keep that there. I end up drawing and eyeballing it, I guess.

So you are saying his head is too big for the size of rest of it?
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too big by far. I say a head half that size would look good. A bit more advice: it's one head's length from the chin to the nipples, another head to the belly button, and another head to the privates.
A lot of artists start with a vertical line and break it into head-sized segments. When I do that, I use a ruler, which works well, but other artists make fun of me for it.

I'm guessing what happened here is you got really focused on the head because that's what you were most interested in, and made it much bigger. I had the same problem in a figure drawing class, though it wasn't the head.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always start with the head and then add on as I am drawing.. Some times, most times, I run out of space and things like the feet get cut off. As you can see there. I need to focus more on planning out my pic, and not just focusing on one part.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and all you have to do is start by marking out proportions, no details yet. After that, do your thing.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon looking through my sketchbook of my latest doodles. I noticed how abnormally large the heads were in comparison to the rest of the body.. And is probably why my work always looks so cartoony and not more realistic in it's appearance.

So thank you for your critiques, and pointers, they have been very helpful to help me step back and look at the whole piece..

Using your suggestions, I did a quick crude sketch of Thor to work on proportions of him... It is moving away from the cartoon feel.

Far from perfect, but a good step in the right direction.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's several steps in the right direction.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.. Your tips really helped....

Here is the next step as I move forward, hopefully. With a fully anatomy test. Working to make sure all the parts and pieces are in the correct place for goof symmetry.

brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Very nice muscle detail. The proportions are attractive. Technically they're not realistic proportions, as the torso has an exaggerated V shape, but that's the way with many comics and the wonderful works of Bruce Timm. I'd like to see this picture with a background.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Art Exhibit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: