Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Disney buys Lucasfilm and Star Wars

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Disney buys Lucasfilm and Star Wars Reply with quote

I have news; Disney is buying Lucasfilm and along with it the Star Wars franchise - the press release from Disney.

Spoiler1: There will be an Episode 7.
Spoiler2: Leia becomes the most badass Disney princess.
Spoiler3: No more George Lucas. Yay!
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually three is not completely true....

George Lucas is not gone he will stay on as a creative consultant and will probably have a major say in the movies and license.

The concern will be on what Disney plans to do with these new movies as they have the idea to create a few. Will they be as good, or will they be better, or will they do the unthinkable and reboot the franchise?

Some are probably happy because they feel Lucas is killing Star Wars.. Which I find odd because he created it.
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's safe to say that while Lucas might not necessarily be killing the franchise, the magic was completely absent in the prequels.

I'm going to watch this with no small amount of interest. It'll be VERY interesting to see what the series does under new creative management!
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt they'll reboot the franchise. I mean, there's still some good will left over from the original trilogy, even after the prequel trilogy did it's best to kill the fandom off.

Personally, I think the big question is what they'll do with the EU setting when they make their new movies. I mean, the novels have the time line pretty well set out for a good century either way of the movies, and have important events mapped out for millennia either way of the movies. Will they ignore them altogether? Maybe focus on some other, heretofore unknown characters in the same time span that's been covered?

Meh, to be honest I don't care all that much at this point. Somewhere in the past 5-10 years I just stopped caring about Star Wars. I don't know exactly what it was that did it. May have been the prequel trilogy, may have been my local book store closing down, may have been the MMO, the space bug novels, may have been any number of things. 5 years ago, I'd have been psyched to hear that a new Star Wars was being made. Now though... I don't know.
Maybe as it gets closer the shriveled black part of my withered nerd gland devoted to secreting happy juice in the presence of star wars will twitch back to some semblance of life and squeeze a tiny drop of it's potent elixir deep into the lizard part of my brain. But, until then, I'm just kind of meh about the news.
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odd thing is, I know that the rest of the nerd gland is ticking away quite well. I'm already looking forward to the Dr. Who christmas special, and I don't even know if they're doing one. And I get a happy little twitch under my left eyelid thinking about the fact that the next Dresden Files book is due out in under a month. I'm already thinking about ditching work to go see the next Marvel movie at the midnight release. And the thought of the next Star Trek movie fills me with a warm sense of foreboding/contentment. All things that wouldn't be happening if that nerd gland wasn't happily squeedily spooching away deep inside whatever organ hides it from modern science.

But somehow, when I think about Star Wars, nothing.
...am I broken?
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really into Star Wars myself, although the idea of it excites me, I don't like the movies.

But this news upsets me, because it seems that Disney rules over nearly everything in the culture of young people. The teenagers are hit hardest. They watch TV shows about other teenagers on the Disney channel. They listen to music by Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber. They, like us young adults, enjoy movies about Marvel characters and Star Wars.

No doubt Disney's planning to use its profits to buy the internet.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
XiaoCaity
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:
No doubt Disney's planning to use its profits to buy the internet.

O_o Don't even joke about that... That's a horrible, terrifying, mind-destroying thought. DO NOT WANT.

Mmmmm, new Star Trek movie... I hope there's a little more Chekov this time. Embarrassed
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what will happen when Disney buys Star Trek as well? We'll be living in a pop culture dictatorship.

And speaking of Chekov, I'm going to see him this weekend. The real Chekov, I mean, not the one I assume you're blushing about.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: