Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

GIMP vs. PaintShop vs. PhotoShop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: GIMP vs. PaintShop vs. PhotoShop Reply with quote

Hi. I'm wondering if there's anything that PhotoShop and PaintShop can do better than the GIMP? From what I've attempted with the former two, they seem inferior to the GIMP in every way. I've received PaintShop Pro for Christmas last year and its tools for creating curved lines never do anything like what I tell them to do. It also doesn't seem to have as many tools, and is difficult to use in several other ways. I've attempted to use PhotoShop a couple times as well, and sometimes PhotoShop hasn't allowed me to edit a picture after scanning it, until I called a friend over to push some buttons to make PhotoShop start doing its job.

Is there any advantage these things have over software I can get for free?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Photoshop " looks good on a resume.
"GIMP" not so much...

To be serious, use whatever works for you. Any functionality that PS has will eventually be duplicated in Gimp.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with using GIMP, so I can not offer you any advice on it over the others. As See already said, Photoshop will look better on a resume then GIMP will. As I'm sure not many will even know what GIMP is.

As to which is better Photoshop vs PaintShop Pro it will boil down to what you want to use the program as. Photoshop's main use is as Photo software for editing pictures and things of that nature. It has some painting functions but that is not it's real selling point.

If you are looking for something to paint or color cartoons/comics the one with more options in that regard would be neither of the three and would be Coral Painter. Coral Painter is designed to paint and color things with.

Now you also talk about creating curved lines.. I think if you want software to do such a thing real well your option would be none of the software I mentioned and would be Adobe Illustrator. Adobe Illustrator is more suited for something like that. It can also be done in Photoshop, but you will probably have more success with Illustrator.

Illustrator is, or at least it was, the software that Art used to create Jack of all Blades back in the day. I don't know if they still use that software or if they changed to Adobe Flash. As Flash is used a lot these days.

I will say Illustrator has a strong learning curve if you choose to go that route. It is also a great tool for doing text and text effects. I know that web cartoonists used to use Illustrator for text on top of coloring in Photoshop.

Hope this helps you some..
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had meant it as a joke, Young.
As in, if someone were to put "Gimp" on their resume, I'd deliberately misconstrue it and assume they meant it in the BDSM manner, as opposed to the free photo editing software manner and be a little worried about hiring them.

Gimp isn't an industry standard, but due to the cost of the alternatives it's becoming fairly well known.
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all jokes can be winners. Don't feel bad, SEE.

I wasn't aware of BDSM's use of this term. Perhaps I shouldn't ask why you should know of it. If you'd clarified that it was a joke, I would have thought you meant an offensive term for a person with a disibility.
I'm just curious as to whether the alternatives have any advantages over Gimp.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:

I wasn't aware of BDSM's use of this term. Perhaps I shouldn't ask why you should know of it. If you'd clarified that it was a joke, I would have thought you meant an offensive term for a person with a disibility.

Yes, it's never fun to explain a joke... Shocked Sadly, I've done it more times then I care to remember. And will say the joke went over my head. Which isn't to bad as White Ninja goes over my head every time I see it, as I don't understand that humor...... Or The Hangover movie for that matter.

As to are there any advantages, well the first thing would be what are you using it for. To at least make sure what you want from it is met, before wanting to see what else it can do.

I've always liked Photoshop as it is pretty easy to use, one you know what you are doing, that is. It can have a decent learning curve. I find it a good program for scanning in images, especially when you are scanning in artwork. I can scan in lines and make them look dark enough to where you would think I inked it without actually inking it, and can clean it pencils real well.

I don't use the other programs to be able to tell you what they can and can't do.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:

I know the term from Pulp Fiction, a pretty good movie if you have a high threshold for violence and foul language.

As for advantages of PS over Gimp, a big advantage is that PS has a lot of documentation. Go to any computer shop or book store and you'll find a dozen or two Photoshop books with in depth tutorials and techniques. A quick google search will find even more tips and tricks.
When using Gimp though, you won't be able to find anything like the number of books. You'll be able to find online tutorials, but not as many.

A second advantage is that PS is clearly iterated in versions. You know if you've got Photoshop 7 or 6 or whatever and you'll be able to apply the tutorials accordingly (some things that work in one version may wok differently in another, or not work at all).
With Gimp, it's not quite as clear, plug ins and version can change and may not be as easy to tell which version you're using, or which version of the plugins you're using.

The biggest advantage that Gimp has is that it's free. Since it's free it's popular and getting more popular among people who don't want to pirate software o spend 700 bucks on a software package. So, while it's not as well known, it's gradually getting there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Art Exhibit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: