Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm a cartoonist now!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: I'm a cartoonist now! Reply with quote

And you probably thought I'd never get around to doing it.

Check out my first page.

http://www.drunkduck.com/Zargaz_and_Barry/

Barry Boson's life goal was to discover extraterrestrial life forms... Until he had to share his apartment with one.

Updates weekly.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first things first.. Congrats on finally reaching your goal.. Since it's one page there is not much to comment on as it's mainly dialogue.

I didn't know Drunk Duck was still around. I had them years ago. Probably before you were born. Cheese! Rolling Eyes I didn't like them, thought. That was around when they kept crashing. Not sure if they still do.

They are fine for those starting out in comics, just like keenspace.. but in time it's best to pay for your own hosting so you have control over your stuff.

At one time they were good ways to get noticed.. but there are so many free sites out there like keenspace that new members just go unnoticed, and they only take care of artists who they like. Which is why some artists will have like 10 comics at one time on keepspot when there are many artists that deserve those spots than the same artist over and over again.

Not to mention the ads, as well as they make money off of you.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I was born? You don't realize that we're getting closer and closer in age with every year.
I actually thought Drunk Duck was new. Regardless, I wasn't planning on sticking with Drunk Duck in the long run. What kind of rights does Drunk Duck have to my comics, anyway? I used to read the legal notices that come with new membership, but since I'm nearly your age now, my eyes grow tired easily.

And since there's not much to comment on, would you please comment on the art?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drunk Duck has been around for 8-10 years. I used them back around 2003-04. Even then they had been around for a couple years.

By rights I don't mean they tell you what you can post, but they make money off of any sales you make from the site as well as advertising.

'Course it's been years so they may of changed that. It's doubtful the freeness of the hosting is usually made somehow. Keenspace forces ads on your page.

As for the art you only have one page and it's a bunch of lil' ships, and what appears to be a planet. There isn't much to comment on. Better feedback can be given when more is up.

However, I'm afraid I don't really know what constitues a good comic strip anymore. There was a time when I could tell you that. But then you had strips like White Ninja, Dinosaur Comics, that are hugely popular and are not funny and not really drawn well. One is just a stock image used over and over again.

The same with CtrlAltDel which is not funny yet has lots of viewers. The same with Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal that gets around 400k visits a day and is not funny, or usually doesn't even make much sense.

Perhaps their humor is so advanced that it's beyond my comprehension. I can not tell you.. but it does appear that their is no standard of what is good and is not good.

While strips that are incredibly drawn and written well don't ever make it past a few hundred visits a day.
Saint Cy
Spark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no accounting for taste, Young. And I'm kind of digging your style so far, Brady. :D
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Drunk Duck is down right now, but I already like the premise. Nudge Nudge Alien roommates FTW!
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... Who can tell me why my page is gigantic? I scaled it down to 6 inches by 9 inches and saved it at that size before uploading, but apparently Drunk Duck thinks I'm using a 3 inch screen?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest not setting an image size by inches. The picture on DrunkDuck is 1904x2700 pixels. Check to see if your local copy has the same dimensions.

Also, lol.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing Tulsi here. Save by pixels, since pixels are universal.

If you save by inches, you have to take into consideration the resolution you're working at to determine how big it's going to be.
Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how many pixels is a good number for a comic page on DrunkDuck?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Art Exhibit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: