Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy Birthday Aja!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowstorm
Noble

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**On the cold streets of a city during a dark and rain-soaked night...**

"...All units, please be advised. Notorious serial baker and possible cultist Shadowstorm, alias "The Crazed Confectioner", alias, "Patissier le Diable", has escaped from Dunwich Mental Institution and has been spotted in the vicinity. Eyewitnesses report suspect was last seen wearing a chef's apron and wielding a wire whisk. Suspect is therefore to be considered to be armed and extremely dangerous. In the event of an encounter, officers are recommended to claim that they are on a gluten free diet before radioing in for SWAT and Hazmat Response. I repeat..."

**Local law enforcement, on high alert, dutifully sweeps through the city in patrol cars on a regular basis. Police helicopters cut across the clouded sky, shining their intense spotlights on bakery shopfronts, and random objects of conspicuousness. In other parts of the city, fearful citizens form neighborhood watches, in a desperate attempt to save home and kitchen from what can only be described as a dessert chef gone completely and utterly mad. Meanwhile, in a local pizzeria...**

Well! They may have thought to guard the bread shops and pastry stores, but they'd never think to look for someone trying to bake a cake in a place like this! Now, let's see, where's my recipe book...ah! There it is.

**Picks up a tattered grimoire, written in latin. Loosely translated, the title would be "Lesser Cookbook of Solomon"**

Ok, now let's see if I have everything...

Eggs, check.
Flour, check.
Sugar, check.
6 overlapping pentagrams and corresponding binding circle surrounding the oven...check.

**Quickly mixes all of the mundane ingredients in a bowl, pours the mix into a bundt pan, lights the ritual candelabras, and places the pan into the oven. 30 minutes and the utterance of several words in a long dead tongue later...**

It's done!

**Pulls out of the pizza oven a multi-tiered, fully frosted cake**

I'm positive I was baking a bundt cake....but, I guess I can't complain with the results. Truly nice work.

**A chitin-covered appendage reaches out of the oven and...gives what appears to be a thumbs up**

Happy Birthday, Aja! May this be a good day and year for you!
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys! Grand Master Goldblum, and the newest incarnation of ShadowCake -- it's hard to imagine a more festive birthday setup than that. Cheese!

*carefully cuts the cake and serves a slice to everyone in the tavern*

Cheers!

*tries a bite*

Oooh... you know, last year's cake was pretty great, but this one? My gosh. The frosting really adds that extra aliquid speciale.

Esta libum est praeclarus, Frater Shadow.

*twirls fork in a complex pattern, etching the lines of an incomprehensible eldritch sigil into the air*

Ave Dominus Libum!
Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Aja!

(whisper whisper)
What? Of course it's January.
(whisper whisper)
If it wasn't January would I be wishing Madam Aja a happy birthday? Apply a modicum of logic, my good man.
(whisper whisper)
Don't be absurd.
(whisper whisper)
October, Schmocktober. Now, if you have nothing else to say, I have a birthday to celebrate.

Sorry about that. Where were we? Ah, yes...

I brought cake. Cheese!
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah! Thanks, Tulsi!

I mean, it's still Birthday O'clock in the EPT* timezone. Nudge Nudge

Cake for everybody!

* (Extended Party Time, or GMT -6,540 and counting)
Saint Cy
Spark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday Aja! Cheers! I hope you have an amazing and uplifting 2020.

*Delivers a delicious confection.*
Shadowstorm
Noble

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**In the center of the room, on a lone table, stands a well-decorated, two-tier birthday cake with vanilla icing. A tattered journal lies waiting to be read next to the cake...only a few entries are legible...**

1/17/19 - I think that went over well. I mean, sure, I have no idea how I got a multi-tiered cake when I was baking a bundt cake, but Aja seemed happy with the results, so that's good enough for me. I sure hope next year's cake turns out just as good. I think I had better track down a new recipe book though. I don't like the screaming noises this one's making now.

2/23/19 - The recipe book I found today shows promise. The month I spent digging through rare book stores and restricted library sections has definitely been worth it. And such a bargain, too! Why, the old man seemed to have been glad to be rid of it. I guess he's diabetic?

4/7/19 - That was a close call! I can't believe they're still on my trail after all these months. And "shoot-on-sight" orders? I think that's going a little too far to subdue a baker! Still, perhaps I'd better lie low until things calm down...

6/3/19 - Now that I've managed to throw the feds off the trail, I can finally get started on next year's cake! Kind of early, I know, but this recipe requires...significant preparation time. Mostly owing to requiring certain...alignments on the lunar and solar calendars. Like ritualistically preparing the vanilla during a solar eclipse. Good thing there's one next month.

7/2/19 - The vanilla's done! The ritual assures me that the periodic glowing is completely normal. Now for the eggs...well, I'm pretty sure the eggs for this comes from something that doesn't exist...or is it SHOULDN'T exist? Stupid Latin.

8/14/19 - I have to wait til the harvest moon to prepare the flour?! Well, at least the sugar sounds completely mundane. Well, aside from the sifting directions. ...Widdershins? Is that counterclockwise CLOCKWISE IT'S CLOCKWISE AUGH NO IT'S EVEN WORSE THIS WAY WHY yes, it is indeed counterclockwise.

9/15/19 - They found me! Again! And still prattling on about how I should just simply BUY a cake whilst they fired their rifles! Preposterous! How completely impersonal that would be! This is supposed to be a gift! A GIFT! Their constant interruptions and meddling into this supremely great work is growing tiresome!

9/16/19 - Yeah, the recipe book has the right idea. This cake WILL be made manifest! I don't care what the courts, or the cops, or the U.N. says!

9/23/19 - The harvest moon! The wheat has been harvested and ground, in accordance with the prophecy. Soon all of the ingredients will be at hand...

10/13/19 - Angel Food Cake
Avocado Cake
Baumkuchen
Boston cream pie THAT'S A CAKE WHY IS THAT A CAKE WHY NOT NAME IT BOSTON CREAM CAKE
Black Forest Gateau
Carrot Cake...

11/5/19 - 3 eggs laid from <illegible>
2 cups moon flour
1 cup SIFTED sugar
3 tablespoons SUN-FORSAKEN vanilla...

11/6/19 -
35 liters water
20 kilograms Carbon
4 liters Ammonia
1.5 kilograms Lime
800 grams Phosphorus
250 grams Salt
100 grams Saltpeter
80 grams Sulfur
7.5 grams Fluorine
5 grams Iron
3 grams Silicon.
Trace amounts of 15 other elements

FORGET IT I'll JUST SUBSTITUTE IN BAKING CHOCOLATE

09/99/99 - I CAN SEE. I CAN SEE EVERYTHING.

01/16/20 - Happy Birthday Aja! May this year find you well!

Last edited by Shadowstorm on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Cy! I hope 2020 is an uplifting year for everyone.

And that confection looks delicious indeed. Cheese! Cheers!

*notices the vanilla-frosted cake which has suddenly appeared... or was it there all along?*

*reads through the remnants of the journal with interest*

Oh my, it sounds like a lot of work went into this. It certainly turned out nicely.

Hey, would anyone like a slice of--?

*realizes that while they were looking away, the cake changed from a whole cake to an assortment of neat, wedge-shaped slices set on paper plates*

*or perhaps the cake was already sliced to begin with, and they just hadn't noticed?*

A-anyway... shall we give it a try? If the last few years are any indication, I suspect it will be-- eep!

*one of the plates sits empty, marked only with a dusting of tiny crumbs*

*that's right... that slice had already been eaten*

*it had always already been eaten*

*and it had been delicious*

--quite an experience. Shocked

*writes a note on a napkin, and leaves it on the table under a glass of Mako tea, next to a plate of cookies*

Dear Shadow,

Thank you for another excellent ShadowCake. As always, the presentation was as much a treat as the dessert itself.

P.S. How are things in the year '99?

Tulsileaf
Mink Sith Lord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Aja!

According my finest calculations, today is your birthday. And math is never wrong. Just ask these rocket scientists.

I brought cake. Cheese!
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! Thanks, Tulsi!

I'm certainly not one to argue with math. Or cake.

Hope you've been doing well lately. Grin
Shadowstorm
Noble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**In the center of the room, on the same table from last year, the tattered journal remains untouched, the Mako Tea and cookies unconsumed. The customary birthday cake....nowhere to be seen....**

**A sudden gust of wind flips open the journal, conveniently to the last entry. Then, suddenly, writing in alarming red letters begins to appear on the page...**

99/99/99: I AM IN A TIME WITHOUT TIME. I AM AT THE BEGINNING AND THE END OF ALL THINGS. However, based on what I can see from here, it's WAY better than 2020, so I'm staying put. Well, at least until I can finish Aja's cake for 2021. Should I even date these entries anymore?

Date Whenever #01: Oh, the things I have seen. The recipes I have found. The ingredients I have had to beat into submission. This will be a fine cake to be sure.

Date Whenever #02: *Eldritch runes compose the majority of this entry, aside from one line which reads "Bake at 350Z(?)"*

**Upon the appearance of the third entry, the cup of Mako Tea on the table begins to drain. and the cookies disappear one by one...**

Date Whenever #03: You'd think in a time like this there would be some decent tea! I am grateful to Aja for setting aside a cup. And the cookies are pretty good too. I shall continue this task with renewed vigor!

**Several more entries appear, but are scribbled out before they can become legible**

Date Whenever #07: I think this is the first time I've had a cake assist me in its own baking. Why, this could be a revolution in the pastry making industry! I should be finished in record time! ....which should allow me to focus on the equations needed to send the cake to the right date...

**The journal updates cease. Until, suddenly, the ground begins to tremble. A loud rumbling noise emanates from directly over the table.**

01/16/21: IT IS HERE

**Then, with a flash of light, a swirling vortex explodes into reality. From within, a pair of frosting-coated tendrils extend, latching onto the table. Said tendrils pull the rest of its mass - a frosted chocolate cake with already lit candles - into the here-and-now. It obligingly sets itself on a cake stand which appeared, as if from nowhere**

01/16/21: Happy Birthday Aja! May this year be better for you than the last.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: