Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

You CAD!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: You CAD! Reply with quote

Hey art forum. I found a fun website to doodle in 3d with, thought it might be of interest to someone who, like me, is interested in playing around in CAD but not particularly interested in paying for the software to do so.
It's a pretty fun way to kill some time.

This is the second thing I did with it, putting together my jaeger from Halos Nach Tariff's Pacific Rim RPG thread in Critical Failures over at the Penny Arcade forums.

And a link to the actual model if you want to look at it from a different angle: https://tinkercad.com/things/84tILuASNc3
It's pretty rough, more because of my lack of experience and lack of planning than because of the toolsets/functionality available (turns out, it's a bad idea to group pieces that you may want to work on later, especially if you keep working on other things in the same project), but it was a fun way to kill a couple hours.

If I built it again, I think I would keep the limbs and head as separate projects, rather than try to build them all on the same board (camera control gets a bit wonky when working on small things like the head when you've got big things in a different corner). Maybe make them with posts/holes on the connection points so if I ever got the thing printed it would have some posability.[/quote]
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People still frequent Penny Arcade Art forums? Is it still a toxic cesspool of hate and malice? Shocked

I never got into CAD, took a semester of it in high school. My dad was a Mechanical Drawer before it became computer-ized.. It was too technical for me.. I enjoy just going freehand...

That said, I enjoy your Robot? Unless he does not transform.. Than he loses cool points.. Also, was not a fan of Pacific Rim... I'd like to see him have some color to him... My only design complaint with him/her is the head? I don't know why, but it looks weird to me.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PA forums have gotten better (I don't know how long it's been since you've visited, but I've been around there for a significant amount of time so I've seen the changes happening). I mean, there's still some hatred and malice around (this is still the internet, hatred and malice aren't going away) but not so much anymore.

Sadly, I'll have to give up the cool points, because the robot does not transform. If just punches giant monsters. But, it did that better than any of the other players Jaegers while the thread was still active, so I think I get some of those cool points back.

Color wise, I don't know if you can put separate colors on a group of pieces on TinkerCAD, once you group something it essentially turns into one piece with one color. The models I've seen that use colors have multiple groups that are each colored differently. That's good enough if you're doing something simple like a cartoon penguin, but the more pieces, the more complex it gets, and more likely to accidently shift something out of place.

Yeah, the head is kind of wonky and rushed. I tried making it look like a medieval jousting helmet, but it just didn't come out. I think if I had used large blocks for the shoulders instead of the extrusion tool (so they'd have had sharp angles rather than smooth curves) the angled helmet wouldn't look as out of place.

But not liking Pacific Rim? I just don't understand. It had giant monsters, it had giant robots, it had giant robots punching giant monsters, and it had Ron Perlman in shiny gold boots.
What's not to like?

Really though, I'd suggest taking a peek at TinkerCAD. It's a lot less technical than actual CAD. Kind of like a sketch pad when compared to CAD's drafting table.
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm more of a large Transforming robot kind of guy.. Or Animals that merge into a larger Robot, a la Voltron... I did hear they were making another Pacific Rim, but I'm not sure where else they could go, without making like a prequel, or the early years types of thing.

It's been years since I've been at Penny Arcade. Back when those that ran it, just let all hell break loose. So much so, that Gabe and Tycho publicly announced they had nothing to do with the running of the forum. A lot of the negativity from there, and other places I was on, really set me back in spending time advancing my art. Of course, that was probably more me than them... Rolling Eyes

I think the way the helmet, I guess, merges into a point, just looks off, or weird to me. I wouldn't be opposed to even seeing a paint over to this, in photoshop or Gimp, or whatever you use. Just to see it as a nice finished piece.

These days, I don't really use my computer for my art anymore. All the pieces I've put out lately, have been done on my iPad.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on that robot. Was that hard to make? What was the hardest thing about it?
I'd love to try out some 3D software. Back when I drew Alien Life, I thought it'd be easier to draw Warlord Zargo consistently if I had a 3D model.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing with the CAD lessons now. It's been a lot of fun, and I was doing well for a while, but then everything went wrong. Could somebody explain the align function to me? I made a very lopsided chess pawn, and the instructions said that if they don't line up, I should select all parts and use the align button. The align button didn't seem to do anything. The next lesson involved some kind of saw, and I was supposed to click Align on that too, but Align didn't do anything. I tried clicking Align, then the object, and dragging the mouse over the object, but nothing seemed to happen.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brady kj wrote:
Great job on that robot. Was that hard to make? What was the hardest thing about it?
I'd love to try out some 3D software. Back when I drew Alien Life, I thought it'd be easier to draw Warlord Zargo consistently if I had a 3D model.

It wasn't hard to make really. The hardest part was to stop thinking only additively and start thinking subtractively. I don't know if those are words, and if they are words I don't know if I'm using them right... I'll try to explain. I play a lot with Lego, but with Lego you can only add or remove whole pieces. You can't remove pieces of pieces, or add pieces inside of other pieces. This is similar to playing with Legos, but you can do things here that you physically can't with real world objects. And it can be hard to adjust to thinking along those lines.
The lower legs for example, are simple cylinders. Then I used the Hex solid (set as a hole) to cut the shapes in the side of the legs, then added a new, smaller cylinder inside the larger cylinder.

brady kj wrote:
I've been playing with the CAD lessons now. It's been a lot of fun, and I was doing well for a while, but then everything went wrong. Could somebody explain the align function to me? I made a very lopsided chess pawn, and the instructions said that if they don't line up, I should select all parts and use the align button. The align button didn't seem to do anything. The next lesson involved some kind of saw, and I was supposed to click Align on that too, but Align didn't do anything. I tried clicking Align, then the object, and dragging the mouse over the object, but nothing seemed to happen.

When you select multiple objects and select the Align (adjust-> align) you'll see the alignment tool appear around the objects you've selected.
The tool shows up as 3 dots along each axis (x,y,z).
At that point you select which axis you want to align them on, and how you want them aligned. Left align lines up the left side of each object, right does the same on the right side, center lines them up along the center each along that axis.

So, if you pick the vertical (z) axis, and select to align to center, all the pieces are going to be centered vertically, click the top alignment button and they'll all be mashed up along the top.

So, to get the pawn all centered, you'd want to select all the pieces, then open the alignment tool and click the center buttons on both the X and Y axis, but not the Z axis.

This took some playing around with to figure out.

Last edited by see317 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young wrote:
I guess I'm more of a large Transforming robot kind of guy.. Or Animals that merge into a larger Robot, a la Voltron... I did hear they were making another Pacific Rim, but I'm not sure where else they could go, without making like a prequel, or the early years types of thing.

I think the way the helmet, I guess, merges into a point, just looks off, or weird to me. I wouldn't be opposed to even seeing a paint over to this, in photoshop or Gimp, or whatever you use. Just to see it as a nice finished piece.

I had heard they were looking into doing a Pacific Rim animated series set in the golden age of Jaegers, (that part covered in the first 10-15 minutes of the movie, up until Gipsy got it's stuff wrecked), and I'm really looking forward to seeing that.

As for the sequel, I can see a couple different routes they could go through. I'm thinking that the science guys may go insane from their contact with the Anteverse hivemind, and that leads them to open a new wormhole. Maybe they try to build their own Kaiju while they're at it.
Alternatively, the Anteverse simply opens a new portal to Earth, the decommissioned PPDC manages to scrap together the funding for a new generation of Jaegers before too many Kaiju start coming in, and lead an expedition through the wormhole to put a stop to their incursions.
Third possibility, the PPDC reopens the wormhole and storm in fully prepared to fight bigger and meaner monsters than ever before, with bigger and meaner Jaegers.
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see317 wrote:

I had heard they were looking into doing a Pacific Rim animated series set in the golden age of Jaegers, (that part covered in the first 10-15 minutes of the movie, up until Gipsy got it's stuff wrecked), and I'm really looking forward to seeing that.

As for the sequel, I can see a couple different routes they could go through. I'm thinking that the science guys may go insane from their contact with the Anteverse hivemind, and that leads them to open a new wormhole. Maybe they try to build their own Kaiju while they're at it.
Alternatively, the Anteverse simply opens a new portal to Earth, the decommissioned PPDC manages to scrap together the funding for a new generation of Jaegers before too many Kaiju start coming in, and lead an expedition through the wormhole to put a stop to their incursions.
Third possibility, the PPDC reopens the wormhole and storm in fully prepared to fight bigger and meaner monsters than ever before, with bigger and meaner Jaegers.

I think the Golden Age, would be a nice time to touch on. The rise, how they made it possible, and the earlier years of the fights.. Animated would be a good choice, as you can do a lot more in an animated flick than in a movie, without spending a ton of money.

Now that I think about it... I see the potential for a second one.. One even bigger and more epic.. After they destroy the wormhole, and are celebrating their victory, and the end of the war... Before they find out, the worm hole they took out, was only a small part of a much larger invasion. I would also touch on a reverse mind link.. After the humans made their connection, the Kaiju, with their hivemind, learn they can reverse the connection and make one with the humans. Allowing them to use this knowledge to their advantage to win crucial victories, that put a major dent in the humans forces...

Wait, why am I posting this, so someone can steal my ideas to make a movie... I think we can both get in a room and bang out a new, and better robot alien movie..

The one thing, I will say, about these movies, is they end up with too much fluff and not enough of the stuff people really came to see. Too much human stuff, not enough robot fighting each other.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea that I would like to see (though I admit it's completely unlikely to be done in a movie) is how the world recovers post Kaiju war.

I mean, sure, some people adapted pretty well to building sized toxic carcasses being dumped on their beaches, but what about the walls? What happens to all the people who spent the past decade building giant walls that are now completely pointless? Or the infrastructure to build those walls. It's bloody expensive to haul building materials through Alaska, they would have had to build roads to carry the concrete and steel, generators and other facilities to maintain the work crews... Of course, that in turn leads to further infrastructure just to build and maintain the new infrastructure... All completely pointless now.

How does Jaeger tech affect the world? Surely, some nation somewhere is going to look at these giant walking kill bots, then look at a neighboring country, then back to the Jaeger and say "Hey, I have an idea...". What about all the people who are now jobless since the Jaegers aren't needed?

Or the environmental impact. Not only of the Kaiju blue toxin, but the mining and research that went into producing the jaegers, as well as disposing of the dead jaegers.

It may just be me, but I like seeing some of what happens next in my fiction. Like the Star Wars EU, it wasn't "Oh, the Emperor's gone along with his super weapon, galactic democracy party at my place!", it's about a billion pages of "Yeah, the Emperor is gone, the Empire though, it's still around, and then there's always another threat waiting just around the bend...".
To quote Dr. Manhattan: "Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Art Exhibit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: