Homeville
Open 25 Hours

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy New Year

View previous topic :: View next topic  
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Happy New Year Reply with quote

So, this year's nearly done and gone. We've survived another pass around the giant burning murder ball of fusiony death that we call "The Sun".
It's time to celebrate by staying up later then usual, maybe drinking something alcoholic, maybe drinking something not alcoholic. Maybe with loved ones, maybe alone in a dark room wondering what the hell you're doing with your life (well, that's my plan anyway).

Also, by deciding we're going to make an effort to be better human beings in the near future.

So, any resolutions you fine people are planning on making?
Personally, I want to ride my bike more. I bought it late October, but haven't had the drive to take it out on any kind of rides. I need to change that.
Also, resolving to take up smoking this year. When I break that resolution I won't feel so bad.
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple months ago, I resolved to improve my social life, get a better job, and improve my apartment to the point it's not embarrassing. My intention was to make sure to do things every other help the first two goals, and every week for the second one. A few weeks later I amended the social life part to focus entirely on getting laid.
Now, I need to amend my goals again, and New Year's is a good time to do it.
I strongly need to improve my savings, so I'll add that to my goals. I'm broadening my first goal to include my entire social life again, though I do hope to get laid this year, at least once. It's not an easy thing to do when so many people are either annoying, boring, and scary, and the rest would be pretty cool except that they always seem annoyed, bored, or scared.
My apartment's no longer embarrassing, so I'm scaling back and only focusing on maintaining its current condition.
I'm almost certainly spending New Year's Eve alone, too. I'll try to invite a few friends over, but my friends aren't reliable people and I haven't seen much of them. I'm certainly not going to any bars. I have difficulty tolerating bars, and only try to tolerate them when drag queens are involved.
Now, you mentioned wondering what the hell you're doing with your life. Could you elaborate on that?

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Aja
Pajamazon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year!

I hope you guys are having a good night, with or without extra company. (For what it's worth, consider yourselves e-hugged!) I've heard enough stories from friends to convince me that it's better to spend a holiday alone than it is to be around unpleasant or demanding people. Play some nice music, visit the sites that make you happy, and enjoy whatever else is going right for you. ♥

I spent almost every month in 2013 thinking that I might not have a home in 30 days, or wondering how long I could go without buying food, because my last $5 was reserved for electricity. It really made the year fly by, somehow. (???)

That kind of nonsense makes me appreciate the luxuries that most people don't seem to notice any more.

I have a home. I'm not going to feel sorry for myself while I'm sitting in it.

I have a computer, and electricity, and an internet connection. I'm not going to use these things to criticize or complain about unimportant stuff.

I'm alive. I'm going to remember that everything else is unimportant stuff.

Not really new resolutions, but sometimes it's handy to remind myself!

For more goal-type resolutions, articles like these have helped me a lot:
Advisory: I've heard that some people get offended by the author's writing/humor style.
Hopefully that won't be a problem, but either way, he makes some dang good points.

Potheads, Planners and Players (Posted on New Year's Day in 2010, and still good.)
How To Accomplish Great Things: Small Victories, Winnable Games (The best advice.)

I hope you'll find them useful (and encouraging) too. Grin
MrPasserby
Courtier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year, all! I hope you had a good time, got a good rest, or took a third option that was also enjoyable. Avast!

I don't really do resolutions--too much guilt/shame when they inevitably fail. I try to set goals instead. It's just a matter of semantics, but somehow it actually helps! Go figure. Anyway, here are some of mine:

• I too have had embarrassing apartment troubles, but I've pretty much given up on mine. So I'll be looking for a new one instead. Cheese! (Note: It's the roommates that are unsalvageable, not my own mess.)

• I'm also working on my social life, a very long-term project which actually seems to be working, much to my surprise!

• I am going to find a better job. No "try" on this one. The only thing worse than a sucky retail job is a sucky retail job that everyone else seems to think must be awesome.

• There's also a last-minute addition to my list this year: Never go back to sleep to try to get back into a lovely dream. It just never works. Last night's dreams involved the love of my life and endless waves of mutant rabid cats. I'll leave it as an excercise for the reader to determine which dream was the one I wanted to get back to and which was the one I got.
see317
Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aja, consider yourself e-hugged back.

@brady kj, just what I said. Sitting alone in a dark room reflecting on where I've been, trying to figure out where I'm going. Maybe playing some classical music, maybe just keeping it quiet. It's not for everyone, but I find it helps when the world seems too busy to just shut out as much "outside" as I can. If I ever won the lottery, you can bet I'd have a sensory deprivation tank installed in my next place.

I did type it a bit negatively, I'll admit. New Years gets me down for some reason. Always has, but I've no idea why. Everyone around me seems to get excited for parties or having friends over or bar hopping or whatever, but it's never been anything more than just another night to me. And somehow not seeing the point of celebrating makes it hard to get involved with any such celebrations.
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brady, wouldn't getting a girlfriend solve your issue there

Happy New Year all.. Some of you, we've known what, 8 plus years now? How long has it been since ThoIR was started?

My new years was a quite one for me. Did not do much. I don't drink. I played some video games. Then saw at 12:35 Stripes was one tv. So I had to watch that and stay up till 3 Am for that. Sleeping in the next day. And meditated on the past year, and where I am going in the coming year(s).

I don't really have any resolutions, more like some goals. One of them is to improve my artwork, and painting skills. Lose some more weight. I'd like to work towards getting a job that I truly love and enjoy, and not feel like it was a choir to go and do..

I also would like to ride my bike more, but bike riding alone is kind of boring.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, Young, I never thought of that. LOL Have you thought your goals can be solved by practicing art and exercising?

SEE, I also think New Year's Eve is overrated. And so many people go to these parties that I don't want to go to to beginning, but I feel a little down about being by myself even though those parties aren't my thing.

MrPasserby, I'm glad you're making progress in your goals, and I feel sorry that your awesome mutant cat dream was ruined by your significant other.

Aja, Thanks for the links about games. My only successful resolution was 2012 when I resolved to do 52 new things, one per week, and I wrote down every new thing I did. I accomplished that goal in August. For two years, I've been trying to come up with something similarly flexible, fun, and simple but more focused on the problems I need to solve.
Thanks to your links, I'm considering replacing one of my resolutions with a resolution to come up with a goal every other week and accomplishing it.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
young
Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I love the smell of sarcasm.. What is this exercise you speak of? It sounds. Boring. And not fun at all.

I actually wasn't trying to be a smart alec baldwin with my reply. The way you posted it it seemed like you only wanted one thing, and not something more to it.. So, i was not trying to offend.
brady kj
Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I should rephrase that particular goal more clearly, if I ever tell anyone else. If I were to exclusively focus on "one thing and not something more to it", it would be much easier. However, it's cumbersome to say that I want a healthy romantic and sexual relationship with a person I like and trust, who feels the same about me.

brady-kj.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeville Forum Index -> The Tavern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: